Most of us think we know the basics of good interview etiquette, but you’d be surprised what people actually say and do in interviews. Maybe they’re not thinking, maybe they’re nervous, or maybe they simply don’t care.
The following is a list of things that actually happened in an interview. Remember, sometimes when you’re too close to something you don’t realize its inappropriateness until it’s too late! Whatever you do, don’t do what these guys did!
1. A job candidate told the interviewer that how long he stayed with the company depended on when his uncle passed away. The candidate was expecting an inheritance and said his uncle wasn’t “looking too good.”
2. One job candidate asked the interviewer for a ride home after the interview.
3. Another candidate indiscreetly smell-checked his armpits on the walk to the interview room.
4. A job candidate answered his phone during the interview and asked the interviewer to leave her own office because it was a “private” conversation.
5. A candidate claimed she could not provide a writing sample because all of her writing had been for the CIA and was therefore “classified.”
6. A candidate interviewing for an accounting position declared she was a “people person,” not a “numbers person.”
7. A candidate admitted he was fired from his last job for physically assaulting his boss.
8. During a phone interview, the interviewer heard the candidate flush the toilet while talking.
9. A candidate was offered food before an interview, but declined saying he didn’t want to coat his stomach with grease before going out drinking.
10. A candidate removed a hairbrush from her purse and began brushing her hair during the interview.
Have you ever done or said something without thinking in an interview that you later regretted? It has happened to all of us!